[dsm_block_reveal_image src="https://esicn647zu6.exactdn.com/wp-content/uploads/Complete-DiaB-solution-1024x800.jpg" alt="Example of a Drone-in-a-Box solution" title_text="Complete DiaB solution" block_reveal_color="#000032" _builder_version="4.21.0" _module_preset="default"...
The manufacturing sector has always been at the forefront of technological innovation. Over the years, we’ve witnessed the transformation of factories from manual labour-intensive operations to highly automated and efficient production facilities.
One of the latest advancements in manufacturing automation is the introduction of Automated Goods-to-Person (AG2P) systems. These systems are revolutionising the way goods are handled and picked in manufacturing facilities, enhancing efficiency, accuracy, and overall productivity.
What is an Automated Goods-to-Person (AG2P) System?
An Automated Goods-to-Person system is a cutting-edge technology designed to streamline the logistics and order fulfilment process within manufacturing facilities.
This system employs a combination of robotics and software to automate the retrieval and delivery of goods to human operators on the production line, as opposed to the traditional method of human workers going to retrieve items from storage areas.
How do Automated Goods-to-Person Systems Work?
- Inventory Management: The first step in implementing an AG2P system is the comprehensive management of the inventory. Items are stored in designated areas, often in bins or trays, with each item assigned a unique identifier, typically a barcode or RFID tag.
- Order Generation: When an order is placed, it is received by the system’s software, which then calculates the optimal route and sequence for retrieving the required items from the respective collection station.
- Robotic Retrieval: AG2P systems utilise autonomous mobile robots (AMRs) that are equipped with sophisticated sensors and navigation technology. These robots travel to the collection stations and collect the transport roller.
- Delivery to Operator: Once the robot has retrieved the transport roller, it delivers it to a designated workstation where a human operator can access the content of it.
- Order Completion: The system continues this process until all items for a given order are retrieved and delivered to the operators, ensuring that orders are accurately and efficiently fulfilled.
4 Benefits of Automated Goods-to-Person Systems in Manufacturing
- Increased Efficiency: AG2P systems drastically reduce the time spent by human operators on manual tasks such as searching for items, leading to significantly faster order fulfilment.
- Improved Accuracy: With autonomous systems handling the collection and delivery of items, the likelihood of errors is greatly minimised, ensuring that the correct items are delivered to the right place at the right time.
- Cost Savings: Savings coming from reduced labour requirement and improved productivity make it a worthwhile investment for many manufacturing operations.
- Scalability: AG2P systems can be easily and quickly scaled to meet the needs of the manufacturing facility, making them adaptable to changing demands.
Automated Goods-to-Person systems – such as CARY – are a game-changer for the manufacturing sector. They offer a path to increased efficiency, accuracy, and cost savings, making them an attractive investment for manufacturers looking to stay competitive in a rapidly evolving industry. As technology continues to advance, we can expect to see even more innovative solutions emerge, further transforming the manufacturing landscape. AG2P systems are just one example of how automation is shaping the future of manufacturing.
Revolutionise your warehouse
See our exclusive whitepaper to find out how you can enhance your warehousing and logistics operations